SIGIR 2012 will feature a full day of workshops on August 16, 2012.
Proposals are solicited for workshops as part of the SIGIR 2012
SIGIR workshops provide a platform for presenting novel ideas in a less formal and possibly more focused way than the conference itself. The format of each workshop is to be determined by the organizers, but it is expected that workshops will contain ample time for general discussion and engagement by all participants - not just those presenting papers. Workshops that foster collaboration, discussion, and group problem-solving are encouraged. Workshops that only involve the presentation of papers are discouraged.
Researchers and practitioners from all segments of the information
retrieval community are invited to submit proposals for review. The
organizers of the selected workshops are expected to define the
workshop's focus, gather and review submissions, and decide upon the
final program content. Organizers (including co-organizers) are
expected to attend their entire workshop and to provide an article for
SIGIR Forum summarizing the event. Therefore, a proposer is not
expected to appear in multiple workshop proposals as a (co-)organizer.
The workshop proposals should include:
- The theme and purpose of the workshop.
- Motivation for the workshop and appropriateness to SIGIR.
If the workshop has been held previously at SIGIR or another
conference, a brief description of attendance and outcomes, and
motivation for another workshop on the topic.
- Planned activities and a tentative schedule of events.
- Selection process for participants and/or presenters and maximum number of participants (if limited).
- Names and a short biographical sketch for each organizer, describing relevant qualifications and experience.
- Names of potential Program Committee members (if a Program Committee will be formed).
Proposals should be in PDF format, and not exceed 1000 words total.
All proposals should be submitted through the EasyChair website at the
- February 20, 2012: Workshop Proposals Due
- April 30, 2012: Notifications Sent
- August 12-16, 2012: SIGIR Conference (workshops to be held on August 16, 2012)
- Eugene Agichtein, Emory University
- Vanessa Murdock, Yahoo! Research